November 6, 2008

Thanksgiving Menu??







For the first time I think ever, Thanksgiving will be a sit down affair for us. We usually have a big 'ol buffet style number for around 30 or so people with a massive turkey, massive amounts of stuffing, green beans and mashed sweet potatoes, but this year I get to explore, be a little more elegant, and test these culinary chops of mine. I'm trying something new, survey's... so please give me your opinion.

This is what I'm thinking:

Turkey:
This goes without saying obviously. I brine my turkey with salt and sugar and some spices overnight which keeps it moist and faboo.

Stuffing:
I've never made stuffing from scratch before, but I am this year. What I'd really like to do is make a stuffing from brioche (a soft somewhat sweet French bread), but I suspect that even if I let it get a bit stale or dry it out in the oven, it's going to be too soft of a bread for stuffing. If that's the case I'll use corn bread instead. As for what kind of stuffing, I have in my mind that Toasted Pine Nuts & Bacon (slab bacon so I can get some nice cubes) sounds wonderful. I would use sautéed onions and celery and maybe mushrooms. I'd use plenty of Thyme, butter and white wine too.

Wild Rice:
I'm pretty sure I'm making wild rice instead of potatoes. It's a little less expected, and the huge array of stuff I can put in the rice is fun. I was thinking of dried cranberries and pecans, which isn't terribly groundbreaking but it's still great. Of course, I could go a totally different route. I might go a little spicy and Moroccan... spiced almonds and dried apricots. What do you think?




Soup:
I've always wanted to start a Thanksgiving meal with soup. I'm torn though. I'd like to do either an acorn squash soup, or a Mushroom Soup. Before you decide, let me say this. If I make the acorn squash soup, then I wouldn't have acorn squash in the rest of the meal, and I would make this killer mushroom pate that would be served on toast points along with the salad. If however, I make the mushroom soup, I would make equally amazing acorn squash wedges with brown sugar and melted butter. I'm leaning toward mushroom soup, but what do you think?




Veggies:
I'm thinking of roasted carrots and cauliflower with brown butter and roasted chopped hazelnuts... that made me hungry actually. OOO I can't wait!

Salad:
Depending on soup decisions, this will either have the toast points with the mushroom pate, or sliced poached pears and stilton (an English cheese that’s very much like a Blue cheese)... oh man got hungry again!

Dessert:
Dessert will be my Mother's pumpkin flan - I know it sounds weird but its AMAZING, and a cranberry clafoutti (that is fruit sautéed in liquor, and then baked in a batter, so good, so easy).

Phew, well thanks for the input, and there will be recipes as soon as decisions have been made, and then of course pics of the food!

1 comment:

Jennifer Field said...

I wandered over here from twiigs. Wonderful blog. I'll have to bookmark and come back and see what's cooking! I have a cooking blog, as well, if you'd like to swing by and take a look: http://onlinepastrychef.wordpress.com