August 28, 2008

Autumn Foods

Fall happens to be my favorite season. Not only is it stunning here on the East Coast, but foods get warmer, thicker, and heartier.
Here's what I'm looking forward to:







Apples
Nothing says Fall to me more than apple picking. Of course nothing makes me happier afterward than making yumminess out of said picked apples. Apple Pie, Apple Sauce, Apple Butter... just to name a few. Of course there will be recipes and pics as soon as I make them.

Pears
Pears are apple's snobby cousin and I love them for it. Sure you can make Pie and sauce and butter out of them too, but what you really want to do is Poach them, Tart them, and place them on a lovely tray with some good strong cheeses!

Thanksgiving
My FAVORITE holiday, and not just because it has amazing food. Thanksgiving is one of those rare times of the year when people really do come together. No one is left behind on Thanksgiving, there's always another chair at the table, another place to squeeze in, another friend or family's meal to crash. That being said, what’s better than turkey, stuffing, and pecan pie??? That's right, not a hell of a lot.

Stew
I love a good stew -- beef, rabbit, fish, whatever it is, it always feels like love and warmth. I have to admit, I have yet to find that perfect Beef Stew recipe, so if anyone has one they're willing to share...

Coq au Vin
Oh the glory that is a good Coq Au Vin. Classically this is made with an old rooster, but since it’s a real chore to find a rooster, let alone an old one, chicken has to do. Chicken is actually a summer meat, that's when they were slaughtered, having been fattened up all winter. However, old rooster was slaughtered as the weather got colder, since you guessed it, they were older. So technically this is a fall dish, and the heartiness created by the bacon and wine doesn't hurt either (Coq au Vin literally means = Cock in Wine). The recipe is in the next post -- pics to come as soon as it's cool enough to make.

Hot Tea
I know everyone says hot tea cools you down in the summer, but I can't get my head around it. So come fall I'll be drinking my tea hot again, what a joy!

Sleep
Although not a food, a worthy addition:
I always sleep better come fall and winter. Sleeping with out the AC or fan is such a joy! Just an open window, a blanket, and the man you love.

No comments: