January 23, 2008

Nahuatl Chicken

Nahuatl (pronounced na-who-wattle) is the Aztec word for Avocado. I threw this together last night and it was wonderful! Give it a shot, let me know what you think.

4 Skinned chicken thighs
1 Medium onion (peeled and sliced into thin rounds)
4 Large garlic cloves (peeled a coarsely chopped)
3 Vine ripened tomatoes (cut into chunks)
3 limes (juiced)
1/2 Cup Mexican Beer (Sol or Corona)
1 Tbs Tabasco
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Ripe avocados sliced or cubed
Salt & pepper

1. Let the Oil heat up in a deep pot or large skillet (I used my dutch oven). Salt & pepper the chicken and place in the oil to brown. Once both sides get a nice crust, remove and set aside.

2. Add the onions and garlic to the pot (if you need to add more oil go ahead). You want them to soften but not brown. Once they become translucent, add the tomatoes, lime juice, Tabasco and beer. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken. Cover and let simmer until cooked, about another 30 minutes.

3. Once cooked, transfer to a serving dish. Put sliced or cubed avocado over the chicken and serve.

*I served this with rice and red beans that had been cooked with Sofrito (a Latin spice and tomato mixture that you can find in almost any store), Tabasco, garlic, and their own liquid. The whole meal was a huge success. I think next time I might make the chicken a bit spicier and add some finely diced jalapeno peppers while sautéing the onions and garlic. You could also sprinkle the chicken with cayenne pepper instead of black pepper.

1 comment:

Jo said...

That sounds pretty good to me. I might add more red pepper etc. but hubby is a bit of a wussy so that would be too much for him. I have copied the recipe for future use.