December 19, 2007

Fave Places to Eat Out

Some are cheap, some are pricey, some are hip, some are oldies, but they are ALL Duchess-worthy.



Balthazar
www.balthazarny.com
As I've said before, this is quite possibly my favorite resteraunt in NYC. The food isn't revolutionary, the decor isn't cutting edge, and it's not trendy. What it is however, is an escape. It takes you to another place if only for a few hours. The food is always good, and always buzzing with happy eaters. It's classicaly bistro, from decor to food, and I love it... 'nuff said.

Grandma's Original Pizza
6918 3rd Avenue
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

I moved to Bay Ridge this past summer, and knowing it was an Italian Neighborhood, my first question was "what's the best pizza." Overwhelmingly, the answer was Grandma's. I dunno if there was or is a Grandma, but the pizza there is wonderful and suprising. It's square with a super thin crust, has fresh mozzarella, their own tomato sauce with chunks of garlic in it, pesto, and romano cheese -- which is sweeter than Reggiano. The result is crispy, sweet, salty, melty, and heaven! If you're in Bay Ridge, stop by, you won't be dissapointed.

*Everyone has a favorite pizza place of course, please let me know yours. Maybe I'll make a pizza sojourn across the city and post the results!

La Paella
www.lapaellanyc.com
This place is perpetually crowded, and for good reason. They make really really good Paella, and the Sagria flows in abundance from very large, very black, very ugly garbage cans. The menu is soley Paella and Tapas, hence the name, and I've never had a bad meal there. However, becuase they don't take reservations, between 7-10 it's jammed. If you can go earlier or later, great -- if not you might be waiting for 30-45 minutes for a table. Just remember, the reward is worth the wait!

Mr Tang's
50 Mott Street
212-233-8898

This isn't the best food in Chinatown at all. It isn't the best people watching, or even the best deocration. No, Mr. Tang's is on here for one reason... Salt Baked Squid (sometimes called, Salt and Pepper Squid).
If you've never had it, you're missing out. It's squid which has been baked or fried in a cripsy, salty batter, and then sprinkled with hot peppers and garlic. It's hands-down one of my favorite all-time dishes, and I find myself craving it and having to make Tang trips. Let me say, whenever I see this on a menu I order it, and Tang's seems to be the best. Please feel free to let me know of your Salt Baked Squid find though, I'm ALWAYS willing to have it for... educational purposes.

Kuruma Zushi Sushi
7 East 47th street
212-317-2802

The freshest, most traditional, most expertly prepapred Sushi in NYC. Forget that corner Sushi place you go to, you haven't had Sushi until you've come to Kuruma. The Sushi is so good, that it actually ruins you for that other "stuff." Toshihiro Uezu, the chef and owner, trained for years under other master Sushi chefs until he was ready for his own place... and it shows. Nothing is ever too big to fit in your mouth, has too much fat or too little, or too anything. It's just perfect.
About the cost: it's cheaper than flying to Japan.
You can, if you show a HUGE amount of restraint eat reasonably (and by reasonably I mean $150-$200 pp), but really, save up the pennies, and go all out just once, it's more worth it than you can imagine.


MORE TO COME....

No comments: